his.sePublications
Change search
CiteExportLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link
Cite
Citation style
  • apa
  • harvard1
  • ieee
  • modern-language-association-8th-edition
  • vancouver
  • Other style
More styles
Language
  • de-DE
  • en-GB
  • en-US
  • fi-FI
  • nn-NO
  • nn-NB
  • sv-SE
  • Other locale
More languages
Output format
  • html
  • text
  • asciidoc
  • rtf
APC, BRAF and KRAS mutations, and MLH1, MGMT and CDKN2A expression analysis in Nepalese colorectal cancer patients.: -
University of Skövde, School of Bioscience. No. (Department of Health and Learning)
2017 (English)Independent thesis Advanced level (degree of Master (One Year)), 20 credits / 30 HE creditsStudent thesisAlternative title
- : - (English)
Abstract [en]

Colorectal cancer (CRC) is a common malignancy which develops due to old age and lifestyle factors, low percent of patients afflicted by a genetic disorders. Half of all colorectal cancer patients are diagnosed after metastasis. The high rate of the late detection, emphasizes on the requirement of convenient and inexpensive diagnostic methods for comprehensive screening programs. The aim of this study was to discover proto-oncogenes mutation and assessment of tumor suppressor genes expression. Formalin fixed paraffin embedded (FFPE) histologically verified colorectal cancer samples were used. APC, KRAS and BRAF mutations were investigated using polymerase chain reaction (PCR) fragments and direct sequencing. Gene expression assessment of MLH1, MGMT and CDKN2A were achieved via quantitative polymerase chain reaction (qPCR). In the present study we could detect a novel transversion heterozygous mutation in APC gene codon 1365 in three patients. BRAF codon 600 mutation were detected in one patient. KRAS codon 12 mutation was discovered in one sample and also a novel transition mutation in codon 15 was detected in 6 patients. In 80% of cases, MLH1 and MGMT expression were undetectable, in remaining 20%, MLH1 expression were reduced, but MGMT showed both reduced and increased expression compared to control. In 100% of patients CDKN2A expression was undetectable. The rate of mutations in predetermined hotspot codons and amount of uncommon mutations into APC, BRAF and KRAS in Nepalese patients indicates the requirement of further investigation in CRC patients from that part of the world. Also, the expression rate of MLH1, MGMT, CDKN2A and deficiency of an information source emphasizes the necessity of whole genome CRC expression profiling data to comparison and conclusion. 

Place, publisher, year, edition, pages
2017. , p. 24
Series
Dissertation Series ; ECTS
Series
-, ISSN -, E-ISSN - ; -
Keywords [en]
Colorectal cancer (CRC), Formalin fixed paraffin embedded (FFPE), APC, KRAS, BRAF, polymerase chain reaction (PCR), MLH1, MGMT, CDKN2A, quantitative polymerase chain reaction (qPCR), hotspot, expression profiling.
National Category
Genetics
Identifiers
URN: urn:nbn:se:his:diva-15719ISRN: -DOI: -OAI: oai:DiVA.org:his-15719DiVA, id: diva2:1221228
Subject / course
Biomedicine/Medical Science
Educational program
Biomedicine - Master's Programme
Presentation
2018-06-01, G208, Högskolevägen 3, 541 45, Skövde, 19:29 (English)
Supervisors
Examiners
Projects
-
Note

-

Available from: 2018-06-20 Created: 2018-06-19 Last updated: 2018-06-20Bibliographically approved

Open Access in DiVA

A.N(1124 kB)3 downloads
File information
File name FULLTEXT01.pdfFile size 1124 kBChecksum SHA-512
5c4141bed9d08d60148932e6e93cfb6995cdbe9b522afe6b5c5d003ce8e2bf3bd9a055c82a7b44a912544c6fbcc21c2afe008a22c4c62d7b755bdcf670cbb57b
Type fulltextMimetype application/pdf

Other links

Publisher's full text-

Search in DiVA

By author/editor
Nourizadeh, Alireza
By organisation
School of Bioscience
Genetics

Search outside of DiVA

GoogleGoogle Scholar
Total: 3 downloads
The number of downloads is the sum of all downloads of full texts. It may include eg previous versions that are now no longer available

doi
urn-nbn

Altmetric score

doi
urn-nbn
Total: 9 hits
CiteExportLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link
Cite
Citation style
  • apa
  • harvard1
  • ieee
  • modern-language-association-8th-edition
  • vancouver
  • Other style
More styles
Language
  • de-DE
  • en-GB
  • en-US
  • fi-FI
  • nn-NO
  • nn-NB
  • sv-SE
  • Other locale
More languages
Output format
  • html
  • text
  • asciidoc
  • rtf